Thursday, June 7, 2012

City of Lost Souls Review, Predictions, Theories

Summary:

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.
No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?
Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.
And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?
Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

Review:
For Clary's part: I love her more than in other books of TMI. She can act like a Shadowhunter now, finally, and this is one of the parts that I like. I don't really like her that much in City of Fallen Angels because c'mon, she was acting annoying. But I can see her bravery in CoLS now. Maybe I will add more marks for her.

For Jace's part: Okay, I can't possibly hate Jace in any real way, but his freaking-being-controlled thing annoys me. I know he'd be controlled. I can't blame him for this. But could he just stop being wicked-lovey-dovey to Clary? I always love his uncontrolled part in the apartment. It breaks my heart to see him cry. And I hope he could stay like that forever. And as for the part that he met Clary in the Institiue (the uncontrolled him), I am feeling like Oh my god what the hell is wrong with him? Because it didn't sound like him. What is with his words? But like many other fans, I still love him.

For Sebastian's part: For 1 (or 2) chapter(s) I really believe him cared about Clary and Jace. Maybe he did in some twisted way. But I really hope he had been dead (very dead) in City of Glass, because he actually ruined everything, but I guess if it wasn't him, there will be no CoFA (And I know this is good for some Recent Haters)

For Magnus and Alec part: C'mon, how could they possibly split up? They are the best couples in YA world (If you don't count Jace and Clary and Will/Jem and Tessa). Please DON"T tell me they will split up for good or I will freak out and never read The Dark Artifices (Okay, I admit that is a LIE)

For Brother Zachariah: Right now this is the most controversial part throughout TMI and TID. Many fans say that he can be Jem or Will or even Stephen. So let's see the clues:
1. In City of Fallen Angels, from Clary's PoV, Brother Zachariah's eyes were closed, and he had dark hair. If this was his intention to shut his eyes, and the color of hair is the true color, he can be Will(Although I don't know what will possibly happen when a Shadowhunter changes into a Silent Brother, maybe it will change his appearance)
2. In City of Lost Souls, Brother Zachariah said that he had no son/daughter, so he can be either Jem or Will, but I think Jem is more like it in the case, because in a spoiler, Cassandra said that in the end of Clockwork Princess, there will be a family tree to tell that how Emma Carstairs got her surname, and it makes me feel that maybe Emma didn't get his name from Jem, and if it is true, than Jem can be Brother Zachariah.
3. In the epilogue of City of Lost Souls, Brother Zachariah mentioned to Clary that there were two people he would have died for, and all these three guys can fit in:
Jem: Will and Tessa
Will: Jem and Tessa
Stephen: Amatis and Jace
OMG I can't decide which one~
4. Also in the epilogue of CoLS, Clary said that Brother Zachariah knew a lot about the Herondales, and again, all these three guys can fit in:
Will and Stephen: Of course they knew a lot about Herondales, they ARE Herondales
Jem: He is parabatai with Will
5. Again in the epilogue of CoLS, Brother Zachariah said that the Herondale dagger had S.W.H on it (Stephen William Herondale), and I think it is very clear that Will had decendants, so Will does not fit in the information of Brother Zachariah in this case.

Other possiblities:
1. Brother Zachariah is someone else, maybe a Lightwood, but I will be very DEPRESSED about it, it will ruin every part in this mysterious Brother Zachariah(although I can tell if it really happens, my heart will stay find because I can't really stand Jem or Will became a Silent Brother to escape something)
2. Cassandra Clare post all the clues to trick us to think he is Jem or Will or Stephen, because she had mention that there are little connections between TID, TMI and TDA, and so she made me feel that maybe that's just what she wants us to think about Brother Zachariah

I think that picking up those clues makes us like detectives...

About the Clockwork Angel Pendant in the Institute: I freaked out when I read the part that Clary try to get those rings, because why on earth would Tessa's Clockwork Angel Pendant in the New York Institute? She was wearing all the time, and she couldn't bear to lose it. If Tessa's a warlock, she was/is a immortal, and I can't see why she took it off. Unless...
1. She lost it in CP2: there is a possibility that she lost it . Who knows what will happen in CP2, but I can't think of a reason why the pendant would appear in the Mahattan Institute
2. She gave it to the Institute: Okay, maybe it was her intention to gave the pendant to the Institute, but I just can't see why she would give it
3. She was dead, and somebody give it to the Institute (maybe Magnus): In my opinion this is the most reasonable theory, because 1. Clary can't prove that the Tessa in City of Glass is alive(or a ghost) and 2. No one can prove that Tessa is a warlock(immortal), although the faerie in the Lightwood house told that Tessa is/was immortal and 3. Who says a warlock/immortal can't die in accident?

But anyway, just seeing the pendant in the Institute makes my heart twist.

About the scene that Clary asked Jocelyn that if the ritual was performed: Jocelyn said that the ritual was performed when Clary was born, and there was a female warlock in there. I can't help but feel that maybe the female warlock is Tessa, because that made sense that Clary found that Tessa is somehow familiar to her, but it also said that Tessa WAS a warlock, though bore no warlock mark. Guess we will find out what is Tessa in CP2

Last words:
Can City of Heavenly Fire and Clockwork Princess be out now!? I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment