Thursday, August 16, 2012

Onyx: Review

Best. Book. Ever. Besides Divergent.

Summary:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…



Review:

Man this book really drives me crazy. It sends me waves of shocks to me. First is Kat seeing Bethany, second is Adam's death, third is Dawson's appearance. And it left a goddamn big cliffhanger at the end of Onyx. I can't even wait to read Opal.

Jennifer is one of the best author ever. Because this is unique. I think not many novels are about aliens? This series is way better than just aliens (like The Host). Your emotions can truly be driven by the things that happened to the characters. It's one of the hardest part of making the novel successful, and Jennifer can do it really well. I appreciate her for that.

But the one thing that I feel is slightly annoying is Kat keep denying her feelings for Daemon. I mean, seriously, if you truly have feelings for him, why not just tell him? And this struggle lasts too long. This is a not-so-good part of the book. But seeing them bickering is really funny. That's the fact I have to admit.

Kat seeing Bethany is one of the most shocking thing of the book. This is a HUGE plot twist. Not in a second have I imagine that Bethany is alive (so is Dawson) and out there somewhere. But her reaction towards Kat is plain scary even though she tried to protect her. I can't even link the once mischievous and sweet girl to this destroyed Bethany. I feel sorry for her. And all this has to blame the DOD. The goddamn DOD.

Another "shock-wave" is that Blake's working for DOD to trying to hunt down Kat. Not as shocking as Kat seeing Bethany. But even though this is not so much a shock for me, I am still angry about him working for DOD and spying on Kat all the time. Another thing I blame the DOD. And to that I am also a little mad at Kat. I always think that the guy is weird. I can't believe that she couldn't see it at the first place even though he acted as a really good distraction when the book started. I can't tell if he truly likes Kat or not, but it doesn't matter now. He is out there somewhere doing hell knows what. And for a long time I wanna punch him in the face and slap him hard.

The saddest thing in the book is Adam's death. I can't even see that happening. I actually cry in this part. Because come on, Adam deserves way better than death. He is one nice kid. Ash and Andrew have to overcome the pain and sorrow of losing their brother. And I can't imagine how Dee can get over the sadness of losing her love. And I blame Blake for that. I hope he will die. I don't care if he was killed by Kat and Daemon or DOD. I just want him dead. And I want the DOD collapse into millions of pieces.

The guy that I wanna slap most is Uncle Will. He is the worst of all and a cheat and a liar and a freaking spy. I can't believe that he uses Kat's mom to get on Kat. He is the biggest and the worst piece of shit in the world. He is definitely one son of a bitch, considering him working for DOD. I would definitely kill him if I could. And I bet that Daemon will take care of him well.

Daemon seeing Dawson involves the most complicated emotions in the whole world. One big part of me feels really happy and even more, giddy to see Dawson alive and back home, joining his bro and sis. But a even bigger part of me feels really anxious. Because Dawson acted like a true zombie. I can figure that he was being tortured when he was trapped by DOD, just like Bethany was. But I can't figure that what is with his blank face and numb gestures. I am really scared by this. And this the biggest cliffhanger in the book. What happened to Dawson? I truly want him being lively and fun just like he was when he first met Beth. I can't stand him being
a zombie.

The best part of the book is that Kat finally admitted her feelings for Daemon at the end of the book. And I was like "Finally, you say out loud. I'm waiting for this for a long time!". And I can imagine how happy Daemon is. But reading the extra of Kat admitting her feelings for him in Daemon's PoV finally gives me the clue of how deep Daemon's feelings for her runs. Best extra ever, not just because his feelings, but because the humor in it. The whole bet thing really brings out laughter from my tight throat (Why tight throat, because of what happened to Dee and Adam).

The cliffhanger drives me crazy, and I can't wait for Opal. I hope that December will come soon.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment